When you visit the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic in Costa Rica, be sure to enjoy the many health benefits that come from Costa Rican coconuts! Coconuts are used worldwide, to make everything from food to cosmetics to furniture. Coconuts have become a trendy health snack for a reason. Coconuts are tasty, refreshing and full of nutrients. From the water, to the milk, to the meat, you can receive many health benefits from every part of the coconut.
Coconut water helps nourish the coconut as it ages and although it can be found in a mature fruit, it usually comes from a young, green coconut. As the coconut ripens most of the water helps form the white flesh called the meat. Coconut water is 94% water, contains very little fat and is a good source of magnesium, vitamin C, manganese, potassium and calcium.
One cup of coconut water contains:
- 46 calories
- 9 grams of carbohydrates
- 3 grams of fiber
- 2 grams of protein
Health benefits of coconut water
- Restores hydration better than water
- May increase insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels
- May help prevent kidney stones
- Could help reduce blood pressure and the risk of a blood clot
- May improve cholesterol levels
- Contains antioxidants that can help protect your cells from damage due to free-radicals
Coconut milk is made by grating the flesh or meat of the coconut and squeezing it through a cheesecloth to extract the liquid. Thick coconut milk contains more fat than thin coconut milk.
Many advocates classify coconut milk as a superfood, which is a non-medical term used to describe a food that contains a high level of antioxidants, vitamins, and/or minerals, and has health-promoting benefits. Coconut milk is a good source of calcium, potassium, iron, and vitamin C.
One cup of raw unsweetened coconut milk contains:
- 445 calories
- 57 grams of protein
- 21 grams of fat
- 35 grams of carbohydrates
Consuming a small to moderate amount of coconut milk may help
- May help promote weight loss
- Could help improve cognitive function
- May improve cholesterol levels
The coconut flesh is the white meat inside the coconut. Coconut meat is not just a healthy fat source, it is also an excellent source of nutrients that can help build muscle and support a healthy body. Coconuts are not a complete protein but they do contain 17 out of 20 amino acids and coconut meat is a rich source of manganese, selenium, copper, phosphorus, potassium, iron and zinc.
One cup of raw coconut meat:
- 283 calories
- 3 grams of protein
- 27 grams of fat
- 10 grams of carbohydrates
- 7 grams of fiber
Coconut flesh does contain a large amount of saturated fat, but unlike other saturated fats, coconut is a medium chain fatty acid (MCA) which means unlike long chain saturated fats, the fat is broken down faster and does not contribute to high cholesterol.
The health benefits of coconut flesh
- Protects the liver
- Supports the formation of collagen keeping your skin, nails, and hair strong and healthy
- Build connective tissue and maintains elasticity, keeping your muscles and heart strong.
- Supports a healthy cardiovascular system and increases HDL (good cholesterol) and decreases LDL (bad cholesterol).
- Helps speed up the healing from a wound or injury
- Boosts the immune system keeping you healthy and fit
- Improves blood pressure
- Increases weight loss and reduces abdominal fat
- Increases insulin sensitivity and helps stabilize blood sugar
- Improves digestion
The benefits you receive from coconut oil from the flesh of a coconut have not yet been proven with commercially available coconut oil available on supermarket shelves. The chemical structure is not the same and therefore the benefits may not be the same. Coconut flesh contains medium chain fatty acids which have a shorter chemical structure than other saturated fats. Coconut oil purchased from supermarket shelves contain primarily lauric acid, which is a long chain fatty acid.
Weight Loss and Nutritional Counseling at the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic in Costa Rica
A critical component to any age management program is body to fat ratio. Following a complete medical history, body composition analysis, comprehensive blood test and discussion of your personal goals, we will work with you to develop a nutrition plan tailored to your specific needs. As you progress through our age management program your nutritional needs may change and will continue to work with you to refine and manage your personalized nutritional plan.
Other Services at the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic
- Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy for men and women including HGH and testosterone therapy
- Facial rejuvenation
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy
- P-shot PRP for men
- Chelation therapy
- Comprehensive laboratory testing including telomere testing and cancer testing
- Food intolerance testing
The Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic in Costa Rica, Panama and Mexico, is Central America’s most experienced Age Management Clinic. At the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic, we combine proven methods of preventative medicine with the most advanced technology to slow down the aging process and fight age-related disease. Contact us today and let us help you start living your best life.