Collagen is found in our bones, muscles, skin and tendons. It is the most abundant protein in our body and it gives our body strength, structure and elasticity.
As we age our bodies product less collagen causing our skin to sag and wrinkle and our joints to become weaker.
Decreasing levels of collagen are the main reason we start to look older.
What is collagen?
Collagen makes up one-third of the protein in our bodies. It is a fibrous, insoluble protein that anchors cells together giving our skin, bone and connective tissue strength, structure and elasticity.
There are many types of collagen but 80-90 percent of our body’s collagen are type 1, 2 or 3. Each type has specific function.
The collagens made up of molecules that are packed tightly together, forming long, thin fibrils that are incredibly strong and flexible.
Type 1 Collagen
The most abundant and strongest collagen in the body. It helps form bone, tendons, ligaments, organs and skin and is critical for wound healing.
Type 2 Collagen
Found in connective tissue and helps build cartilage. It is critical for healthy joints.
Type 3 Collagen
It is usually found with type 1 and helps make up our organs, skin, blood vessels and heart tissue.
What causes a decline in collagen production?
- UV light
- A medical condition that prevents your body from absorbing key vitamins and nutrients
- Vitamin C deficiency
Do you need to increase your intake of collagen?
- If you see wrinkles or have achy joints or digestive issues, then you may need to add more collagen to your diet.
- Collagen is a complex protein made up of 19 different amino acids. Increasing your intake of collagen will also increase your intake of 4 key amino acids; arginine, glutamine, glycine and proline.
- Benefits of collagen include:
- Skin will appear tighter and more firm
- Hair is stronger and shinier
- Stronger nails and teeth
- Reduces the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks
- Reduces joint pain
- Improves symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Improves digestive issues due to leaky gut syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, and acid reflux
- Faster wound healing
- Improved cardiovascular health due to stronger, healthier blood vessels
How can I increase my intake of collagen?
Eat foods or supplements high in collagen
- Real bone broth made from the tendons, ligaments cartilage, skin and bones of the chicken or beef.
- Hydrolyzed collagen supplement that does not have added sugar
Eat foods that increase your uptake of collagen
- Sweet potato
- Dark green vegetables
Foods rich in vitamin C, vitamin E and antioxidants will help increase your production and absorption of collagen. Vitamin C is critical for pre-collagen production and acts as a powerful antioxidant. Vitamin E works with vitamin C to stimulate collagen formation. Antioxidants protect against the breakdown of collagen cells due to free radicals such as pollution. Consuming foods high in vitamin C, vitamin E and other antioxidants improves the production and utilization of collagen.
Many beauty creams and shampoos claim to have the benefits of collagen, but in reality, the benefits of collagen must come from internal sources rather than external sources.
The Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic can help you develop a customized health program that will enable you to achieve your peak physical and mental performance. Our services include:
- Human Growth Hormone
- Human Growth Hormone for Women
- Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men
- Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy
- P-Shot PrP Procedure
- Facial Rejuvenation
- Medical Weight Loss
- Nutritional Counseling
- Laboratory Testing
- Food Intolerance Testing
- IV Nutritional therapies
- Lifestyle modification
- Stress Management
- Chelation Therapy
Our experts at the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic will help you develop a comprehensive plan that includes:
Age Management Medicine
The experts at the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic focus on creating a customized health program based on specialized testing, individual risk assessment and personal health histories. A customized a health program will help you achieve your peak physical and mental performance.
Diet, nutritional support and supplements
Our anti-aging physicians understand that your body must obtain and absorb the right nutrients to perform at peak efficiency. Using the most advanced methods for nutritional testing, our physicians can determine your nutritional deficiencies and help you develop a customized supplemental plan that works best for you.
Skin conditions and treatments
Age is a state of mind and sometimes just a small change in a person’s appearance can make you feel younger, healthier and more vital. The Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic offers several non-surgical cosmetic procedures to help you look and feel younger including; injectable dermal fillers and toxins, and micro-needling with or without Platelet-rich Plasma. These non-surgical procedures are affordable and offer almost immediate results
IV Nutritional Therapy
Obtaining and absorbing the right nutrients for peak performance is not always possible by eating the right foods. IV Nutritional Therapy provides amino acids, vitamins and minerals directly into the blood stream. IV nutritional therapy delivers concentrated amounts of nutrients not possible through oral administration. It can help improve overall health, improved athletic performance, manage stress, and reduce the signs of aging.