For many, dinner tends to be the largest meal of the day, however, eating a big dinner may be slowly killing you. Research presented at the 2018 American Heart Association’s Scientific Session in November in Chicago, Illinois, showed eating the majority of a person’s daily calories for dinner may lead to an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Researchers analyzed data from the Hispanic Community Health Study and after analyzing the eating habits of 12,708 study participants between the ages of 18 and 76, researchers found that more than half of the participants (56.6%), consumed approximately 35.7 percent of their daily calories after 6 p.m.
- In a 2,000-calorie diet, a 1 percent increase in the number of calories consumed (~20 calories for every 1%) was associated with higher fasting glucose and insulin resistance which are associated with an increased risk of developing diabetes.
- Eating 30 percent or more a person’s daily caloric intake after 6 p.m. was associated with a 23 percent increased risk of developing high blood pressure
- Eating 30 percent or more a person’s daily caloric intake after 6 p.m. was associated with a 19 percent increased risk of developing prediabetes
Eating a very large dinner after 6 p.m. overloads the digestive system and can result in a “fat hangover”. When we eat at night, we burn less fat and our body has a more difficult time processing carbohydrates. This can lead to increased levels of sugar and fat in the blood and an increased risk of developing diabetes and cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack or stroke.
These results do not suggest that we should skip dinner. In fact, research has shown that eating protein before bed can help increase muscle mass. What the research shows is we should spread out our caloric intake throughout the day and limit our late-night eating to less than 30 percent of our overall caloric intake.
The experts at the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic can help you develop an exercise, hormone replacement, and nutritional wellness plan that will help slow and reverse the signs and symptoms of aging.
Services at the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic:
- Human growth hormone for men and women
- Bio-identical hormone replacement for men and women
- Platelet-Rich plasma therapy
- P-Shot PRP procedure
- Facial rejuvenation
- Chelation therapy
- Comprehensive blood work
- Food intolerance testing
- Weight loss and nutritional counseling
The Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic is Central America’s most experienced Age Management Clinic. At our clinic we combine the most advanced technology with proven methods of preventative medicine, and patient education to slow down the aging process and fight age-related disease. Contact us today to see how we can help you look and feel younger.