Obesity is associated with an increased risk of multiple types of cancers and contributes to approximately 20% of cancer related deaths. The more weight a person gains and the longer they are overweight, the higher the risk of developing cancer. The Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic can help you lose weight and improve sense of wellbeing which can decrease your risk of developing cancer.
Fat or adipose tissue doesn’t just sit there. Adipose tissue is active, sending out signals both locally and systemically, influencing inflammation, altering veins and blood vessels and damaging the connective tissue and these changes can initiate tumor growth. Additionally, fat cells send signals to the body telling it to increase hormone and growth factor production. The hormones and growth factors tell the body to divide more often. If cancer cells are present, these cells will also divide more often causing tumor growth.
What cancers are associated with obesity?
Facts About Obesity
- Obesity affects more than 94 million adults in the United States
- Obesity increases the risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer
- Hispanics have the highest rate of obesity at 47%
- Approximately 43% of adults between the ages of 40 and 59 are obese
More About Obesity and Cancer
Obesity is a medical condition that occurs when a person has excess amounts of body fat. When a person consumes more calories then they use as energy, the body stores the extra calories as fat. A person’s risk of developing cancer depends on a lot of factors including genetics, age, environmental factors such as sun and pollution, and obesity.
Everyone needs fat. The following are some of the functions of fat.
- Fats serve as a backup energy source when your body runs out of carbohydrates.
- Fats are necessary for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E and K.
- Fats insulate the body helping it maintain the optimal body temperature.
- Fats act as a protective cushion for your major organs, tissue, and bones.
- Fats are used helps build new cells and is part of the membrane surrounding the cells, keeping the cells healthy and functioning correctly.
- Fats help regulate hormone production and are an integral part of prostaglandins which regulate many functions of the body.
It is the last two functions of fat that may increase the risk of cancer. Too much fat in the body changes the signals sent locally and systemically. Too much fat can increase the production of growth hormones and insulin which can increase the division of other cells including cancer cells. Additionally, your body recognizes it has too much fat and sends specialized immune mediated cells to the area of fat which can lead to chronic inflammation and increase the risk of cancer.
The Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic
At the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic we work with each individual patient to develop customized health plans that will help you achieve your peak physical and mental performance. A critical component to any age management program is body to fat ratio. Following a complete medical history, body composition analysis, comprehensive blood test and discussion of your personal goals, we will work with you to develop a nutrition plan tailored to your specific needs. As you progress through our age management program your nutritional needs may change and will continue to work with you to refine and manage your personalized nutritional plan.
The length of your program will be determined by you and your physician based on your immediate health needs, the amount of weight you want to lose and how quickly you want to lose it. Your actual weight loss will be determined by your health, adherence to the plan and use of nutritional supplements. As you progress, you and your health care provider will make adjustments to your plan.
Your Customized Program Includes:
- An initial complimentary consultation with one of our anti-aging physicians
- An extensive blood analysis
- Thorough health evaluation including
- Health history
- Vital signs
- Body Composition
- Strength and Stability
- Discuss preventative medicine and personal goals
- Facts about aging
- The role of hormones
- Nutrition and exercise
- The role of supplements
- Customized health plan
- Nutritional supplement and/or hormone shipments as clinically indicated
- Access to our anti-aging physicians
- Scientific updates on the latest research and advances in Age Management medicine
- Annual re-evaluation to refine your health program based on clinical needs and personal goals
Calorie restriction, physical exercise, low stress conditions and a balanced nutritional diet are critical for losing weight and fighting the signs of aging. The experts at the Anti-Aging and Wellness Clinic focus on creating a customized health program based on your specific needs. Contact us today and let us help you stay healthy and achieve your peak physical and mental performance.